Beef and Vegetable Spring Rolls
Why go out for spring rolls when you can make them right at home? This Australian take on a Vietnamese recipe for spring rolls from Australian Made's Administration Assistant is fun to make and even more fun to eat!
1 tbsp vegetable oil
500g minced beef
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup Harvest Moon carrots, minced
1/2 cup spring onions, chopped
1/2 cup sliced green cabbage
1 potato diced into small cubes
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soy sauce
30 spring roll wrappers
vegetable oil for frying
- Heat your pan until it is nice and hot and pour in 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil for frying. Cook the mince, stirring often, until it is all browned Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain the oil from the pan, leaving a thin layer. Cook the garlic and the onion together for 2 minutes, then stir in the cooked beef, minced carrots, chopped spring onions, sliced cabbage and diced potato.
- Season with salt, pepper and soy sauce and set aside until cooled.
- Place three heaped tablespoons of the filling diagonally close to the corner of each wrapper, leaving a 4cm space at both ends. Fold the side along the length of the filling over the filling, tuck in both ends and roll neatly. Keep the roll tight as you assemble. Moisten the other side of the wrapper with water to seal. Cover the rolls as you go to retain moisture.
- Heat a deep frying pan over medium heat, add enough oil to cover the spring rolls when frying and heat for 5 minutes. Fry the rolls five at a time for 1-2 minutes, until all sides are golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
*Image courtesy of phanlop via freedigitalphotos.net