Brownie Biscuit Sandwiches with Salted Caramel Fillings
A decadent dessert or a sweet treat, these salted caramel brownie sandwiches are guaranteed to be a favourite with the sweet tooths among us! Courtesy of The Baker Chick
Cooking / cooling time
350g dark chocolate, chopped
40g unsalted butter
⅔ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup plain flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
Salted caramel filling
¾ cup caster sugar
¼ cup water
½ cup pouring cream
150g unsalted butter, chopped
sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
To Make the brownie biscuits
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place 200g of the chocolate and the 40g of butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and whisk for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Stir through the flour, baking powder, chocolate mixture and remaining chocolate.
- Place tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, allowing room to spread.
- Place in oven and bake for 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked.
- Allow to cool completely on trays.
To make the salted caramel icing
- Place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir with a metal spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 8–9 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the heat and carefully add the cream and butter.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, whisk mixture until soft peaks form.
- Spread half the brownie biscuits with the icing, sprinkle with the salt and sandwich with the remaining biscuits.