Cheese, Onion and Chive Scrolls
Wholesome, delicious and packed with Aussie goodness, these cheese, onion and chive scrolls are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Handy hint: If you like to snack, bake them on a Sunday, ready to go as snacks for the work week!
1 hour 30 mins
1 Australian Grown brown onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp Cobram Estate olive oil
250 gm (1 2/3 cups) bread flour
100 gm (2/3 cup) rye flour
90 ml water
10 gm brown sugar
7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast
2 tbsp finely chopped Australian Grown chives
70 gm each Gruyère and aged Cheddar, coarsely grated
125 ml (½ cup) milk, plus extra for brushing
2 tsp sea salt
- Stir onion and oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until tender (4-5 minutes), set aside.
- Combine flours, sugar, yeast, chives, 50gm cheddar, onion mixture and 2 tsp sea salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Warm milk and 90ml water in a saucepan over low heat until lukewarm, add to flour mixture, knead until smooth and elastic (4-5 minutes).
- Transfer dough mixture to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and stand in a warm place until doubled in size (45 minutes-1 hour).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a 20cm x 40cm rectangle. Scatter with remaining cheeses then roll to form a long cylinder.
- Cut into 8 pieces, place cut-side down on an oven tray lined with baking paper, stand until slightly risen (10 minutes).
- Brush tops with milk and bake until golden (20-25 minutes).
- Serve warm.