There's something a little bit exciting about wontons. They're all wrapped up like a delicious surprise! This recipe for chilli wontons from Hakka is a quick and easy one for those in the food service industry. The alternative for home cooks is one from the Australian Made team. Enjoy!
30 minutes if making your own wontons, or 5 minutes with Hakka's pre-prepared wontons
3 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp sugar
135 ml soy sauce
60 ml chilli oil
60 ml balsamic vinegar
Coriander to garnish
24 wonton wrappers
200g pork mince
50 g de-stalked and finely chopped mushrooms
4 water chestnuts, finely chopped
1 green onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cornflour
salt and pepper to season
*Find out about Hakka's pre-prepared pork wontons here
- In a bowl, combine and mix the sauce ingredients together until the sugar is fully dissolved then set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the pork mince, de-stalked and finely chopped muchsrooms, water chestnuts, green oninon, soy sauce, conrflour, salt and pepper. Mix until ingredients are evenly spread.
- Place one wonton wrapper on a clean surface. Place one heaped teaspoon pork mixture in centre. Brush edges with water. Fold wonton over to enclose filling and form a triangle. Press edges together. Fold base corners of triangle up and around filling. Press to join. Repeat using remaining wrappers and pork mixture.
- Bring a saucepanful of water to boil. Then cook wontons for 3-4 minutes (if thawed) or 4-6 mins (if frozen), or until pork is cooked through and wontons float.
- Once cooked, remove them using a slotted spoon and transfer them into a bowl. Drizzle the chilli sauce over the wontons and serve.