These gingerbread biscuits can make the perfect Christmas gift or snack - easy to make and delicious, there's no doubt they'll be appreciated!
1 hour plus 24 hours resting time
1 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
⅓ cup water
⅓ cup honey
250g of butter, cubed
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
½ tsp grated orange rind
½ tsp ground cardamom
1½ tsp baking soda
3½ cups plain flour
- Mix flour, spices, orange rind and baking soda in a bowl.
- Warm the honey, sugar, and water in a pot over medium heat, stir until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the pot and stir until incorporated, stir in the rest of the flour mixture.
- Once fully combined, form dough into a log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Take dough out and let rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes before rolling out to about 3mm in thickness on a baking paper using a lightly floured rolling pin.
- Cut out biscuits with cookie cutters placing buscuits about 2cm apart.
- Place baking paper with biscuits on a baking tray and bake on a middle rack until slightly browned - about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes on baking tray before transferring to wire rack to cool completely before decorating or eating.