Whether or not you get involved in the Halloween festivities this year, this recipe for spider cupcakes is great fun, and super-easy. If you're having a spooky dress-up party or just feeling silly, it will work for those occasions too!
Thanks to Five Heart Home for the recipe and images
30 minutes (10 minutes preparing cupcakes, 20 minutes icing and decorating)
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup milk
Icing and decorations
1 cup sifted icing sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp milk
2 metre Fyna liquorice
1 bag mini chocolate chips (optional)
1 bag mini marshmallows, chopped in half, to be used as eyes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160C. Prepare 12 hole muffin tray or 24 hole mini muffin tray.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Make a small well in the middle of the bowl and then add remaining ingredients.
- Beat on low speed with electric mixer until just combined.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and beat on medium speed for a further two minutes.
- Place tablespoons of the mixture into 12 hole muffin tray until holes are half full. Heaped teaspoon of mixture for mini muffins.
- Place tray into oven for 15-18 minutes for 12 hole muffin pan or 10-12 minutes for mini muffin pan.
- Stand for 5 minutes and then turn out onto wire rack to cool.
- Sift icing mixture and cocoa into a bowl. Add butter and milk.
- Using an electric mixer, mix on low speed until ingredients are combined. Mix on medium speed for a further 2 minutes.
- Turn the muffins out and cover the tops with icing.
- Chop your mini marshmallows in half and press them on, to be used as eyes (optional).
- Sprinkle the muffins with mini chocolate chips (optional).
- Use a toothpick to poke holes in the muffins for the legs.
- Chop the liquorice into thin slivers to make the legs and poke them into the holes.