Try this scrumptious salad to add interest to your Spring and Summer meals. Great for entertaining – serve on its own or as a side dish.
4 (8 sides)
1-2 heads fresh Australian Grown broccoli
6 rashers bacon
1 cup grated Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese
1 bunch of spring onions, chopped
250g sunflower seeds
Iced water (if blanching broccoli)
1/3 cup castor sugar
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Chop bacon into small pieces and fry in a small amount of olive oil until crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Trim stems and chop broccoli into ½ - 1 inch florets
- Broccoli can be served raw but, if preferred, broccoli can be blanched (submerge in salted boiling water for 60 seconds, drain in colander, submerge briefly in iced water, drain in colander to dry, allow to cool).
- Combine broccoli, bacon, cheese and sunflower seeds.
- Combine castor sugar, mayonnaise and red wine vinegar and whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Pour dressing over salad, toss well, then add chopped spring onions and mandarin slices.