Chocolate and Orange Cake with Anvers Chocolate Orange Segments
Chocolate and orange is a class flavour combination, particularly when it comes to cake! Try putting a decadent, tasty twist on your next baked treat with a little help from a couple of fresh oranges and a box of Anvers chocolate orange segments.
60 minutes (total)
1 large or two small Australian Grown oranges, pierced right through with a skewer
90ml boiling water
50g cocoa powder
3 eggs, whisked
300g caster sugar
100g unsalted softened butter
175g sifted self-raising flour
1½ tsp sifted baking powder
200g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
225ml double cream
3 tbsp IXL apricot conserve (optional)
1 box Anvers chocolate orange segments
- Cook the orange/s in enough boiling water to cover for 30 minutes until soft. Blitz in a food processor until smooth and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C, grease a round cake tin.
- Once your orange has cooled, in a large bowl, mix the cocoa powder and boiling water until it forms a paste. Add the orange, eggs, sugar, butter, flour and baking powder and beat until combined.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed in the middle.
- Put your chocolate in a metal bowl. Boil the cream in a small pot and pour over the chocolate. Leave for 2 minutes, then stir in 3 tbsp orange jam, and keep stirring until smooth. Set aside until firm enough to spread over the cake.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate, spread on your icing and top with Anvers orange segments