Shopping for Australian made and grown products can seem pretty confusing, but it doesn’t have to be. Simply look for the famous green and gold Australian Made, Australian Grown kangaroo logo - it's been helping consumers for more than 25 years
The logo was launched by Bob Hawke in 1986 and for the first 10 years of its life was managed by the Advance Australia Foundation. These days it's administered by Australian Made Campaign Limited (AMCL), a not-for-profit company, under contract from the Federal Government.
It's a registered certification trade mark, with a strict set of rules (Code of Practice) governing how it can be used. Products must be registered with AMCL and must meet the criteria in the Code of Practice to use the logo.
Independent research carried out by Roy Morgan in 2012 showed that almost all Australian consumers (98.8%) recognise the logo, and it is the logo which gives the vast majority (88.6%) of Australian consumers strong confidence that a product is Australian.
Changes to food labelling laws
Changes to food labelling laws are coming soon. From 1 July, the Government will be incorporating the Australian Made, Australian Grown kangaroo logo into a new country-of-origin information panel, which will be mandatory for Australian food products.
Australian food products sold domestically will no longer be able to use the Australian Made, Australian Grown certification trade mark as a standalone country-of-origin symbol, and the Australian Made Campaign will no longer be able to license food products to use the logo as a country-of-origin certification trade mark. Information about the new mandatory country-of-origin information panel can be found at www.foodlabels.industry.gov.au. The Federal Government will be funding the ACCC to manage compliance of the new country-of-origin information panel for food products.
The Australian Made Campaign will continue to administer and promote the Australian Made, Australian Grown logo as a country-of-origin certification trade mark for all other classes of goods, and for use as a marketing tool in a corporate capacity. The process for obtaining a license to use the logo will remain the same. For more information, visit www.australianmade.com.au/for-business.
- The product has been manufactured here (not just packaged or assembled); and
- 50% or more of the cost of making it can be attributed to Australian materials and/or production processes.
- All of the product's significant ingredients have been grown in Australia; and
- All or nearly all of the processing has been carried out in Australia.
Product of Australia
- All of the product's significant ingredients come from Australia; and
- All, or nearly all of the manufacturing or processing has been carried out in Australia.
- The product is a seafood product; and
- All of the product's significant ingredients have been grown or harvested in Australia; and
- All, or nearly all, of the processing has been carried out in Australia.
- Can only be used in export markets; and
- The product must satisfy the criteria for at least one of the four preceding claims, and not be misleading.