It doesn’t get much better than a homemade sausage roll. Just the thing to warm the cockles of your heart on a cold day, these sausage rolls are best served with Australian Made Fountain Tomato Sauce.
4 slices white bread, crusts removed
300g beef mince
700g sausage mince
1 300ml Fountain Tomato Sauce
1 29g sachet Gravox Brown Onion Gravy
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsp Black Peppercorns, ground, to taste
4 sheets puff pastry
2 eggs for glazing
Fountain Tomato Sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- Soak bread in warm water then squeeze to remove excess moisture.
- Place all ingredients except pastry in a large bowl. Mix well with hands, ensuring bread is distributed evenly.
- Lay out pastry sheet and cut in half.
- Place mixture in the middle of each half and shape into a sausage along the length of pastry.
- Roll pastry around mixture and seal by pinching pastry together with fingers. Place sealed edge down on cutting board and cut into 3cm pieces with a sharp knife.
- Place rolls on trays lined with baking paper, glaze with egg and bake in hot oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 170°C and bake for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with Fountain Tomato Sauce.