Serve this hearty DON pea and ham soup up with crusty white bread spread generously with real butter and your family will love you forever.
1 hour 5 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 parsnip, finely chopped
450g DON® shaved ham
500g green dried split peas, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
1 litre water
1 litre stock (reduced salt)
1-2 tsp thyme leaves
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tbsp chopped parsley, extra, and cracked black pepper for serving
Crusty bread and butter to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, celery, carrot and parsnip. Cook over low heat until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add 400g DON® ham, split peas, bay leaves, water, stock, parsley and thyme leaves.
- Simmer the soup covered for an hour, until thickened, and peas are tender.
- Remove the lid and puree the soup.
- Serve topped with remaining ham, extra parsley and cracked black pepper.