These fluffy chocolate cupcakes are great fun to make. While you're enjoying your tasty treats you'll also be able to enjoy a feel-good moment, knowing Akta-Vite donates five cents from every specially marked can to the Australian Koala Foundation.
40 (15 minutes cooking, 15 minutes cooling, 10 minutes decorating)
1 tsp vanilla
100g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp milk (or buttermilk)
Icing to decorate
30g Akta-Vite dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
100g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
250g icing sugar
1/2 cup of dessicated coconut
24 small round chocolates (for eyes)
12 marshmallows, cut in half (for ears)
12 black jelly beans (for noses)
*We've gone with chocolate-coloured icing, but if you'd rather a more accurate looking koala cupcake, substitute a few drops of black food colouring for Akta-Vite in the icing.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius. Line 12 cup muffin tray with cupcake papers.
- Stir or whisk together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Cream butter, vanilla and Akta-Vite with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until most of the Akta-Vite has dissolved and the mix is paler in colour (approx. 2-3 minutes).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Using a large metal spoon, fold a quarter of the flour in followed by a tablespoon of the milk (or buttermilk). Repeat with remaining flour and milk. Spoon into cupcake papers to about 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before icing and decorating.
- To make the icing, using a food processor, hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together all of the ingredients until they are light and fluffy. Add a little milk if too dry or extra icing sugar if too runny. Ice each cupcake with approximately one tablespoon of the icing mix.
- To decorate, place to marshmallow halves at the top for ears, a black jelly bean for the nose, and two small round chocolates for eyes. Sprinkle with coconut and gently shake to remove excess.
- Store in an airtight container.