Doubling as a dessert or delicious snack, this lemon syrup cake recipe from Australian Made's Compliance Manager can be served hot or cold and is sure to be a family favourite.
1 cup Bundaberg white sugar
2 Fresha eggs
1 ½ cups self raising flour
½ cup milk
Pinch of salt
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup castor sugar
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Sift the flour and salt and add alternately with the milk.
- Line the bottom of a loaf tin ( approx. 23cm x 12cm), pour in the mixture and bake in a moderate oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Mix the lemon juice and castor sugar and stir well. When the cake is cooked and still hot from the oven, pour the syrup over the top. You can use a wooden skewer to make holes so that the syrup penetrates more deeply.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin before turning out.
- Serve cold on its own or with thick cream; or warm gently and serve with cream or ice cream as a dessert.
- You can also use fresh orange juice instead of the lemon juice in the syrup.